Surrender A Pet
*** WE ARE AT CAPACITY & NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW INTAKES ***
Next Closest Shelter is Lawton
First let’s discuss finding a new home for your pet.
We know that surrendering your pet is a very difficult decision and few things are more traumatic for a dog than losing his/her family.
Sometimes resources or support are all you need to keep your dog with your family and there are many options available to families that are looking to find a new home for their pet.
Please note that if you have fallen on hard times and are finding it difficult to afford food for your pet please call us and we can talk to you about our community pet food program.
If you adopted a dog from Benji Come Home Rescue, Corp., and you are no longer able to care for the Benji Come Home Rescue, Corp., alumni per your adoption contract you MUST surrender the dog back to Benji Come Home Rescue, Corp.
Please call for an appointment, DO NOT arrive during business hours without an appointment.
If you are considering surrendering your dog because of problem behavior:
- Is the dog spayed or neutered? This simple procedure can have a dramatic impact on some behaviors.
- Consult with an animal behaviorist, dog trainer or obedience school. Many of these classes and consultations are very inexpensive and yet have amazing results.
- Discuss the problem with your vet. Your vet may be able to suggest a training method or even a medication to eliminate the problem.
What to do if you need to surrender your pet.
You have a number of choices, and just one of them is surrendering your pet to Benji Come Home Rescue, Corp. If you have exhausted alternatives to relinquishment, here is how our surrender and admissions process works.
Benji Come Home Rescue, Corp. Intake:
Surrendered Animals are only accepted only by appointment unless you are a Animal Control and/or Law Enforcement Officer. Call Vince at 580-713-8345 and ask to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet. We respect the difficult decision of owners to relinquish their pets, but we will not euthanize to control the number of canines at our facility. Therefore, we can only accept the surrender of adoptable owned pets as our capacity and resources allow. An assigned appointment date could take between 1 week to 2 months depending upon the type of animal and the time of year. Once again we DO NOT euthanize our rescues for space and often are operating at capacity so depending on kennel space there is a chance you will be put on a waiting list or referred to another shelter/rescue.
Our goal is to find a happy forever home for our rescue animals. We can achieve this by knowing more about the animals that come into our care. If possible please write a short bio of your pet to turn in at surrender time and bring their medical records. Please know you will be surrendering all owner rights. Once you’ve surrendered an animal, you cannot obtain information about whether or not he/she was adopted, current owner status, etc. However we make every attempt to post adoption photos.
Admission of an animal into Benji Come Home Rescue, Corp., is often dependent on the animal’s health and behavior. Please keep in mind that an animal can behave VERY differently in a stressful rescue environment than how they behave in a home setting with people they know and trust.Benji Come Home Rescue, Corp., intake guidelines for both owned animals and rescue animals include, but are not limited to, the following:
- All dogs must be weaned, eating solid food, and ideally at least 8 weeks old (unless the mother is also being surrendered). We do offer supplies and resources to people that need help in getting the animals to that age.
- Ideally all canines 6+ months old must undergo a heart-worm test and may be declined due to a positive test.
- All animals must be free of any visible skin issues such as ringworm or mange
- All animals must be friendly and socialized and cannot exhibit any aggressive or extreme fearful behaviors toward other animals or humans
- Call Vince at 580-713-8345 and ask to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet to the Benji Come Home Rescue, Corp. You must try to bring your pet to the rescue, as we can not always pick up your pet.
- PLEASE download and email the completed Stray and/or Owner Surrender Intake Form to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your appointment. You will need to bring a picture ID at the time of your appointment. Bring all of your pet’s veterinary records with you to your appointment. You can not bring in a friend or family member’s pet for them. Bring any medications that the animal is currently taking and any special food or treats that they will need.
- Your appointment will take approximately 30 – 60 minutes. Your pet’s placement at our rescue is based on a variety of factors such as behavior and health.
- A member of our Team will assess the temperament of your pet.
- Once your pet has been assessed, a member of our Team will discuss the results with you and other options if your pet does not pass.
- Please bring payment in the form of cash, credit card or check.
If your animal has bitten or broken skin in the last 10 days, please contact your local animal control agency.
Surrender Fee’s shall and will always be suspended during times of Natural Disasters or during a State of Emergency for events such as Floods, Hurricanes & Tornado’s. This fee is automatically waived upon the Governor of Oklahoma, County Commissioners, Mayor or Local leader placing your County , City, Town or the entire State into a State of Emergency or Declaring your Area and or the State of Oklahoma a Disaster Area.
***SURRENDER FEE’S UPDATED 2022***
Cotton County fee’s now apply to Comanche, Tilman, Jefferson, Stephens, Grady, Kiowa Counties